Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help
Aug 31, 2008

I have had swollen groin nodes (which caused my legs and feet to swell due to lymph fluid). Have had 2 biopsies (bone marrow, under arm) both came back inconclusive. Surgeon doesnt think its cancer. HIV tested positive 3 weeks ago. Could the HIV be causing this lymph node problem and will it ever go away??. I am losing my mind with all this leg/foot swelling!!

Response from Dr. McGowan

HIV can cause generalized swelling of lymph nodes. It seems that you have had an appropriate workup for your swollen glands that included a lymph node biopsy and a bone marrow aspirate and biopsy. From the information contained within your question, it appears lymphoma or another type of malignancy has been "ruled out." Another entity that can cause enlargement of lymph nodes is Castleman's. Your doctor should speak to the pathologist who provided the result of your lymph node biopsy to discuss Castleman's as a possible cause. You do not mention your CD4 count value. If it is below 350, it might be a reason to start treatment which may reduce, over time, the generalized lymphadenopathy that you describe. Even if your CD4 count is not below 350, symptomatic HIV infection is another reason to consider initiating treatment.

Previous
about new born child of HIV postive mother
Next
HIV test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.