Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my boyfriends black spot on bottom of foot
Jul 31, 2008

Hi I have been with my boyfriend for about three months now, and I have noticed a flat black spot on the bottom of his foot the size of a pencil eracer.or a little larger. are the symptoms of Kaposi's sarcoma of a black spot? how long after being infected do they show up? I have been kissing him, and have been having unprotected sex for he had a vesectomy too. can woman spread it? if I am infected how long would it take ? and what would I look for? and where? I have seen no more that I am aware of at this time. I do love him and want him to be my husband. if he is infected and I do contract it what do we do? can I get tested for the aids virus? should he get tested? he goes to the doctor in september. he don't know I have been searching on this. I did mention the spot to him that it was a weird looking spot that the doctor should look at. I have no spots at this time. , and would he need a chest ex-ray? Thank You so much! concerned

Response from Dr. McGowan

I can sense your anxiety about this situation. I will try to address some of your concerns, but I can only give you general information. The only way to know for sure what is the cause of the spots would be to have them examined by a health care professional.

Kaposi sarcoma is a condition that is seen in people with HIV infection (although others..ususally middle aged-older Mediterranen men can also have it). It can occur as an initial presentation of AIDS, but it generally would take some time (even several years or more) to develop in some. The spots tend to be more common on the extremities (arms, legs, ears, tips of the nose) and may be purplish in color because they are made up of blood vessels.

The safeest thing to do would be to have sex using a latex barrier (male condom or female condom) until you have yourselves tested for HIV. Routine HIV testing of all adults. You should discuss your desire to move forward with your relationship and make HIV testing a part of that commitment.

Best,

Joe

Previous
uncomfortable
Next
what does it means when dr. say the disease has taken over?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.