The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ellissa test
Jun 30, 2008

dear doctor ,after risky explosure and very strong simptoms ,i fear i been contracting hiv ,after several oraquik at 3,4,5 months after exposure -all negative; proviral dna by pcr at 5 mounhts, eia at 5,5 mounths ,unigold at 6 ,6 1/2,7 months after explosure and eia all remain negative at 7 months mark .My question is i dont now what is my status. I am still really worried ,lab corp claims proviral dna is really good test but only think i read about its used to diagnose small kids after birth ,what is you think about this? ,maybe i should to take a western blot or any other test you recomend.Thanks doctor and sorry for spelling)))

Response from Dr. McGowan

You have certainly had an extensive evaluation for HIV infection after your exposure. It would be very unlikely to be infected with HIV having a negative HIV 1/2 ELISA 6 months or more after exposure. In addition you have had a negative HIV DNA screen. These tests are not routinely recommended for diagnosing HIV since they can be falsely positive. Since yours was negative that is even more reassuring. There would be no need to do a Western blot, since that test would only be useful if a person screens positive on the ELISA. Also, depending on where you live, you may be exposed to HIV-2. You should be sure that your EIA also screened for antibody to HIV-2. I do not know what your symtoms are, but they may be from something other than HIV, you should discuss them with your health care provider.


Virus affected or not
a fellow new yorker

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint