Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Virus affected or not

I participated condom sex with a prostitute. Even I don't know whether she is affected of HIV or not. But I am worry about virus as I fingered, sucked her nipples( I don't know whether fluids came out or not, but I got salivation) and I also had some nail cuts from her on my body. Within 24 hours I approached a doctor and he suggested that I take an injection so that we can kill the virus. I followed him and took an injection. He also said after 72 hours if we under go for DNA test, we can come to know whether the virus is existed in our body or not?. Please tell me whether the doctor is correct or not.And can we really kill the Virus with that injection and also can we really come to know about the virus if we under the tests.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad you used a condom during sex with a commercial sex worker. It is best to assume that the sex worker is likely to be infected with HIV when making decisions about how to reduce the cahnces of HIV transmission. You also made the right choice about seeing a health care provider as soon as possible after the contact. Within a couple of hours (best), but not later than 48 hours after possible HIV exposure offers the best chances of interrupting transmission, if it were to occur. The health care provider will assess the potential risk: the type of exposure (blood, semen, vaginal fluid, saliva), the nature of the exposure (receptive anal or vaginal sex- more risky vs oral sex or skin contact- less risky), and the likelihood of the contact person to be HIV infected or not. The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has set up guidelines to standardize post-expoure prophylaxis for HIV. If indicated, treatment (usually a combination of 2 or 3 anti-HIV drugs) taken by mouth for 4 weeks is recommended. HIV testing (for antibody, not DNA) should be done at the time of the expsosure and 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months after the exposure to ensure that transmission did not occur. If symptoms such as a prolonged fever, swollen glands or a rash develop, one should seek medical attention right away. In your case, the transmission risk may not have been very high since there may not have been any direct exposure to the body fluids of the sex worker. The shot you received may have been for treatment of other sexually transmitted infection (such as gonorrhea). If you feel you have been exposed, you should have an HIV antibody test as outlined above. Of course you should not have unprotected sex during this time.

Best of luck, Joe

What is the average period that resistance develops ?
ellissa test