Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is the average period that resistance develops ?
Jun 30, 2008

I am on three drug cocktail containing Tenofovir, Lamivudine and Nevirapine.

I have complete and absolute adherence to drug intact.

What i want to know is as how long on average that it takes for resistance to begin and develop ?

I have been on this regime for the last two years and do expect resistance to start at some point in time where a regime change will be required. So when is the earliest that resistance might show up and what is the max period that i can go on before a regime change is needed ?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Yours is a complex question. Resistance CAN develop very quickly (within a couple of weeks to a regimen such as yours). Early resistance is usually due to poor adherence. This is because the amount of medicine in the blood is too low or erratic to fully stop the virus from making copies of itself. If the virus can grow, it makes mutations (genetic changes) each time it copies itself. These mutations may enable the offspring to be able to grow in the presence of the drugs. Most drug resistance by this mechanism occurs within the first year of treatment. Unless there is a change in pattern of adherence (or a re-infection with a drug resistant virus from someone else) there is very little chance of getting resistance after that. There have been long term studies on protease inhibitors and NNRTIs that show very little drug failure due to resistance late in treatment. So, I feel your chances of staying undetectable for the foreseeable future are excellent.

Best, Joe

Previous
hiv 2
Next
Virus affected or not

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.