Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Warts and more warts

Hello Dr. I can seem to find much information about a problem I have been having. First, a little back round. I have been on meds since 1993. I have had mixed results, with cd4's in the 200-300 range and a vl of about 20k. Just this last year I became undetectable, however my cd4's are only about 170. For about the last 3-4 years I have had flat warts on my right hand and forearm. My dermatologist and I first tried some Aldera cream - three times a week. This did not help so we then added effudex every other morning. Again, it just held the warts in check. Then we tried an every 3 week session of burning off the warts with liquid nitrogen. Of course, this was no fun at all and it left an unsightly aftermath. Now, I am also getting warts popping up on my right forearm and also on my left calf. I wonder if you could check with your associates to see if there are any other approaches we could use. For a layman, I would think there should be a pill I could take for this. This is fungal I assume and is sestemic - right? I am just frustrated as hell and looking for some help. Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Warts, which are viral in origin and associated with the Human Papilloma virus), can be very difficult to treat. Reinfection after treatment is not uncommon and eradicating one area involved with warts can be followed by self-innoculation in an adjacent area or distant area and relapses. I would suggest going back to your dermatologist to discuss the progress of your treatment and future therapeutic options.

Joe

Low Platlet Count
POSITIVE BUT NO DRUGS