Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

im very worried pls help me

ok 1 year and 2 months ago I had sex with a girl. I had unprotected sex and i came inside her vagina and then she told me she was hiv positive. I got tested the day after then 7 months later and then 6 months after that and all the tests are negative. I had two relationships in that year and they got tested and came out negative. My girl friend is pregnant she had a hiv test and it came out negative. Could I be infected after 1 year and 2 months?even if I come out negative

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad that your HIV tests have been negative. Virtually all people who are infected after exposure to HIV would test postive by 6 months. You tested yourself up to 13 months after your known exposure and have been negative which is very re-assuring. Use of anti-HIV medication within a few hours of an unintended sexual exposure can reduce your risk of acquiring HIV significantly. You also mention a number of other sexual partners and have a pregnant girlfriend. If they had HIV infection and you did not use a condom, you might have been exposed to HIV after your "known" exposure. The 6 month time clock starts after each potential exposure. It is important to use condoms to reduce the chances of acquiring HIV. Many people (up to a quarter of all infected persons) may not be aware they are carrying HIV. So you cannot assume that a person will know they are infected. I wish you the best of luck with your baby!

Joe

Am I taking too many meds?
dual Tropic/low t-cells