The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

im very worried pls help me
Jun 16, 2008

ok 1 year and 2 months ago I had sex with a girl. I had unprotected sex and i came inside her vagina and then she told me she was hiv positive. I got tested the day after then 7 months later and then 6 months after that and all the tests are negative. I had two relationships in that year and they got tested and came out negative. My girl friend is pregnant she had a hiv test and it came out negative. Could I be infected after 1 year and 2 months?even if I come out negative

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad that your HIV tests have been negative. Virtually all people who are infected after exposure to HIV would test postive by 6 months. You tested yourself up to 13 months after your known exposure and have been negative which is very re-assuring. Use of anti-HIV medication within a few hours of an unintended sexual exposure can reduce your risk of acquiring HIV significantly. You also mention a number of other sexual partners and have a pregnant girlfriend. If they had HIV infection and you did not use a condom, you might have been exposed to HIV after your "known" exposure. The 6 month time clock starts after each potential exposure. It is important to use condoms to reduce the chances of acquiring HIV. Many people (up to a quarter of all infected persons) may not be aware they are carrying HIV. So you cannot assume that a person will know they are infected. I wish you the best of luck with your baby!


Am I taking too many meds?
dual Tropic/low t-cells

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint