Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

restarting therapy

I have been on a "holiday" for 5 years now. My Dr's felt since I responded well to therapy (Zerit/Epivir/Virimune) and maintained 700+ CD4 and undetectable VL that I could take a break. I am now at 374 CD4 and 313000 VL. I am looking to restart theray and considering Atripla. Is it time to restart and would Atripla be a good choice for me?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Had we known then, what we know now, it is likely that your doctor would not have recommend a treatment holiday today. But that being said, assuming you had never developed any resistance to your prior regimen (and your question seems to suggest that this is the case), in particular Viramune resistance, I think that Atripla is a reasonable regimen option. Once you do start, your health care provider would need to monitor your viral load very closely to ensure that full viral suppression was achieved by three to four months into treatment.

Best,

Joe

HIV behaviour pattern
Halt Immune Deterioration awaiting Resistance Test