Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

hiv status

i had unprotected sex now i have doubt in my mind about hiv.its been 7 days now if i get tested can you tell me that results will be true or do i have to wait for some time?

Response from Dr. McGowan

My first suggestion is to see a doctor and inform him about your concern. Not everybody who is exposed to HIV after unprotected sex, contracts the virus. If people do contract HIV after an exposure, it usually takes about four to six weeks before the HIV antibody test result would start to come back as "positive." If you are having symptoms of acute HIV infection (fever, swollen glands, rash), your doctor can order other tests in addition to the HIV antibody test to confirm recent HIV infection. But my first suggestion is to see a doctor about your exposure. You may also be at risk for having acquired other sexually transmitted infections, such as hepatitis B, syphilis, gonorrhea or Chlamydia. I hope things work out with any tests the doctor may order but it is also important to remember to practice safer sex.

vl fluctuation
every other day dosing