Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my variable cd4
Jan 6, 2008

I have had HIV since 1996, undectable since 1998. I have noticed over the last three years that my cd4 absolute and percentage tend to drop as much as 150 points when I have had fasting labs drawn. For example in June 2007 cd4=716 non fasting , Sept 2007 cd4=657 non fasting, Jan 2008 cd4=495 fasting. Do you believe there is any correlation between fasting or time of day that allows for cd4 fluctuations like this. (I was not sick for any of these lab draws either). thanks for your time!

Response from Dr. Daar

I am not aware of data showing that CD4s may vary by whether one is in a fasting or nonfasting state. They may vary by time of day and doing them at the same time may decrease the variability. More likely, these observations are coincidental and you will need to continue to be followed and monitored for trends. The good news is that your numbers have been very good.

Best, Eric

Previous
Treatment options for Highly pretreated patient
Next
Patient Support When There's No Physician

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.