Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

My viral load isn't undectable this month, should I worry

I've been on Atripla for the past year and my viral load has been undetectable. Last month it jumped up to 160, should I be alarmed? My CD4 are higher than ever around 844.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting. In the overwhelming majority of cases where someone is consistently undetectable and then experiences a single low level viral load measurement, this represents what is referred to as a "blip." In these cases the viral load is usually undetectable when repeated. Assuming you are taking your medications consistently I would be optimistic that this will be the case for you. The important thing to do is have follow-up testing performed. If the viral load continues to be increased then consideration should be given to drug resistance having developed. The good news is that even if this worst case scenario were true, you will still have many options and will do great. Best, Eric

What Happened to Prostratin Research.
pregnancy