Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

To work or not to work

History: 29 year old male admitted into hospital with PCP and Cryptosporidium. Viral load 7 million, CD4 7. After two months in hospital I then rebuilt my life and was employed meds Nervipine & Truvada. My CD 4 is static at 250, viral load >50. In Aug 06 I had MRSA and TB infection in my spine. I am currently not working and recovering from the TB. I am considering returning to employment but am concerned that if I do so it will result if further deterioration of my health. Would you recommend I return to work or concentrate on keeping well.

Response from Dr. Daar

Based upon what you have written I believe you have a good chance of doing very well for a long time. Ultimately, your ability to work will depend upon many factors including how you feel. In fact, this issue is probably more important or relevant than concerns that working might result in deterioration of your health. Keeping busy and being productive is a good thing as long as you are up to it. Think this over and discuss it further with your provider. Best, Eric

sleep & HIV meds
8 1/3 years too long or wait for drug failure?