Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Taking Maraviroc

Hello, im now taking crixivan, combivir and bactrim daily..

my CD4 around 100 and viral load 6000+

my doc suggest me to change my treatment to maraviroc..

is it maraviroc suitable for Hep-C/Heamophilia patient with HIV?

and what ur suggestion?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

It is very unusual in the current era to find someone on crixivan with NRTIs in your situation. Clearly if you are taking your medications and have detectable viral load on this regimen you should have drug resistance testing performed and consideration given to changing regimens. The best next regimen for you will only be defined by drug resistance testing. It is possible that maraviroc (a newly approved CCR5 antagonist) may be a part of this next regimen. However, you would not know this unless a "tropism" assay is performed that shows that you have no detectable virus in your blood that uses the other co-receptor, CXCR4. After drug resistance testing and a tropism test are performed you need to sit down with your provider and discuss your options. If you would like, please feel free to write back with this information. For what it is worth, at this time there is no convincing evidence that hepatitis C or hemophilia would be influenced by the use of this drug. Nevertheless, it is a new class of drug so only time will tell.

Best, Eric

Best, Eric

what my results are predicting?
AIDS diagnosis - a future problem?