Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Suggestions anyone?

Hello Dr. Daar, Happy Thanksgiving. I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1999. I was on HAART until 2005. My numbers were always good on the meds. Now almost 3 years later with no meds for HIV I recently went back to the doc and had labs done again and my CD4 was 766, 28% , viral load was around 56000...The doc, one i hadn't seen before and why i decided to go with a new one is beyond me, but the doc refused to write for hiv meds, needless to say i was less than pleased with this and promptly scheduled an appt. with the old hiv doc...isn't it really ultimitely the patient's choice to start or not start treatment?. I have only had one doctor for hiv this whole time and that was his mentality...just trying to gain some insight here and would appreciate some input. Thanks for your consideration and Happy turkey day..Gobble on :-) Ray

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Ray, Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Obviously I don't know everything I need to know about your particular situation but in general I agree that the ultimate decision usually is made by the patient as to when therapy should be started. There are certainly situations where one might encourage someone to delay treatment, particularly if there are concerns regarding the persons ability to consistently take the medications or return for follow-up visits. However, in these situations the plan isn't to refuse therapy but to work with the person to assure that these issues are addressed prior to initiating therapy.

Perhaps the most important message I can convey to people who visit this site is that selecting an expert HIV provider is a very personal thing. I encourage everyone to make sure that they are working with someone they feel comfortable with and they believe are truely listening to them.

Best, Eric

Fiber Supplement
TOO many MEDS?