Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Suggestions anyone?
Nov 22, 2007

Hello Dr. Daar, Happy Thanksgiving. I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1999. I was on HAART until 2005. My numbers were always good on the meds. Now almost 3 years later with no meds for HIV I recently went back to the doc and had labs done again and my CD4 was 766, 28% , viral load was around 56000...The doc, one i hadn't seen before and why i decided to go with a new one is beyond me, but the doc refused to write for hiv meds, needless to say i was less than pleased with this and promptly scheduled an appt. with the old hiv doc...isn't it really ultimitely the patient's choice to start or not start treatment?. I have only had one doctor for hiv this whole time and that was his mentality...just trying to gain some insight here and would appreciate some input. Thanks for your consideration and Happy turkey day..Gobble on :-) Ray

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Ray, Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Obviously I don't know everything I need to know about your particular situation but in general I agree that the ultimate decision usually is made by the patient as to when therapy should be started. There are certainly situations where one might encourage someone to delay treatment, particularly if there are concerns regarding the persons ability to consistently take the medications or return for follow-up visits. However, in these situations the plan isn't to refuse therapy but to work with the person to assure that these issues are addressed prior to initiating therapy.

Perhaps the most important message I can convey to people who visit this site is that selecting an expert HIV provider is a very personal thing. I encourage everyone to make sure that they are working with someone they feel comfortable with and they believe are truely listening to them.

Best, Eric

Previous
Fiber Supplement
Next
TOO many MEDS?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.