Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Fiber Supplement

Will taking a fiber supplement like Metamucil, affect the absoption of my meds? I like using the fact that it helps to lower cholesterol, plus keeps me regular. I'm on Atripla. Thanks...

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your question.

It is always important to consider how anythings you are taking may interact and I encourage you to discuss all medications and substances you are taking with your provider, including those purchased over the counter. That said, I am not aware of any interaction between the use of metamucil or other soluble fiber preparations and the antiretrovirals in atripla. It might be wise to take these thing separately during the course of the day since there is likely to be limited data useing them simulataneously but I would not anticipate any problems.

Best, Eric

viraday and side effects
Suggestions anyone?