Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fiber Supplement
Nov 22, 2007

Will taking a fiber supplement like Metamucil, affect the absoption of my meds? I like using the fact that it helps to lower cholesterol, plus keeps me regular. I'm on Atripla. Thanks...

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your question.

It is always important to consider how anythings you are taking may interact and I encourage you to discuss all medications and substances you are taking with your provider, including those purchased over the counter. That said, I am not aware of any interaction between the use of metamucil or other soluble fiber preparations and the antiretrovirals in atripla. It might be wise to take these thing separately during the course of the day since there is likely to be limited data useing them simulataneously but I would not anticipate any problems.

Best, Eric

Previous
viraday and side effects
Next
Suggestions anyone?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.