Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

viraday and side effects

I have my CD4 180 and VL 28900. I have been on Viraday since 45 days , would like to know how long it takes to reah the normal CD4 range and an undetectable viral load. And if at all if there is any side effects of viraday for Liver and Kidney , how fast the side effects develops and what are the symptoms.

Response from Dr. Daar

Viraday is a generic fixed dose combination of tenofovir, FTC and sustiva. This is an effective combination of drugs in which most people will achieve an undetectable viral load within 3 to 6 months of starting treatment. The CD4 response is extremely variable from person to person and not everyone will get back to a completely "normal" value. The most important goal when starting a regimen like this is to take the medication everyday, let your provider know if you are having any problems taking the medications and to have your viral load measured regularly to make sure it goes to undetectable levels.

There are some risks with all medications including those in Viraday. Although for the majority of people treated with these drugs I would not anticipate any signficant effects on the liver and kidneys, it is possible and these parameters should be followed when on treatment.

Best, Eric

Are there benefits to changing meds?
Fiber Supplement