Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Having Children

i am 23 yrs old, I was diagnosed January of this year, I am taking Atripla. My viral load is current undected...if i maintain this level will i eve be able to have biological children?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting.

There has been a great deal of work developing methods that would allow HIV-infected men to have biologic children without putting their partner at significant risk for HIV infection. This has generally involved washing and testing sperm to assure that there is no HIV present and then inseminationg the female partner. Availability of this technology is variable depending upon where you live but with time I hope will increasingly be an option for HIV-infected men.

Best, Eric

atripla
POSITIVE AND ALIVE