Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Alternative to Videx

I am taking Videx and Epivir once a day and Lexiva, Norvir twice a day. I am doing well, but have recently started developing what I think is peripheral neuropathy in my legs and arms. I know that Videx can be a cause of this and was wondering if you could recommend an alternative for Videx that would work with the other meds I am taking, but be less likely to cause the tingling/numbness in my legs and arms. Thanks for any help.

Response from Dr. Daar

It is always difficult to give this kind of advice without all available information about your treatment history. Consequently you really need to meet with your provider to discuss any changes in your treatment. That said, in general other drugs in the NRTI class that are not clearly associated with peripheral neuropathy include tenofovir, abacavir and zidovudine.

Best, Eric

That old life expectancy question
how long the baby survive from hiv