Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Worried

My son (age 25) has been using drugs for last 4 years. He shared needles and was diagnosed with HIV in Feb. 2007. He has not seeked any medical attention and doesn't care. He now weighs 102lbs. I live in the USA and he is Canada. I am worried sick about him. We as a family tried everything to help him and he is now in jail. What is his prognosis?

Worried Mother

Response from Dr. Daar

Dear Worried Mother, I am very sorry to hear about your son. It is so difficult to watch loved ones suffer from drug use. Even worse when it leads to other conditions, such as HIV and results in their inability to deal with these problems. There is no question that the most important thing that can happen to your son is to get clean. Once off drugs he will be able to start antiretroviral therapy and have a chance for an excellent recovery. Sadly, it is a race against the clock for him to get off drugs and deal with any other psychological obstacles to being treated and him actually being started on HIV treatment. If he can get to therapy I would be very optimistic.

All the best to you and your son.

Eric

Ks is back?
IL2 and low CD4 count