Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i dont understand cd4 and vl
Sep 15, 2007

I was tested in feb for hiv my test was pos my cd4 was 120 and my Vl was 50,000 i was just tested last week and now my cd4 is 146 and my vl is 146,000 i am very confused my doc wants to c me in two weeks to discuss treatment is the a normal cd4 and vl for hiv pts i understand that i am considered to have full blown aid will u please help me understand this

Response from Dr. Daar

The most important thing for you to understand is that CD4 cells and viral loads do fluctuate quite a bit from day to day, week to week and month to month. More important than a single measurement are trends over time. My interpretation of your results is that there has been relatively little change. That being said, with consistently less than 200 CD4 cells you should be seriously considering treatment options. Fortunatlely, there are many options and you should do very well.

Best, Eric

Previous
pediatric HIV
Next
after the holiday

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.