Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

i dont understand cd4 and vl

I was tested in feb for hiv my test was pos my cd4 was 120 and my Vl was 50,000 i was just tested last week and now my cd4 is 146 and my vl is 146,000 i am very confused my doc wants to c me in two weeks to discuss treatment is the a normal cd4 and vl for hiv pts i understand that i am considered to have full blown aid will u please help me understand this

Response from Dr. Daar

The most important thing for you to understand is that CD4 cells and viral loads do fluctuate quite a bit from day to day, week to week and month to month. More important than a single measurement are trends over time. My interpretation of your results is that there has been relatively little change. That being said, with consistently less than 200 CD4 cells you should be seriously considering treatment options. Fortunatlely, there are many options and you should do very well.

Best, Eric

pediatric HIV
after the holiday