Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lipodyrophy Inhibiters
Sep 15, 2007

Dear Dr. Daar, As per my internet research I have come upon two solutions for Lipodystrophy, I would like your input on both solutions.

1. http://www.nucleomaxx.com/index.php?id=63&type=0 Re: Uridine Mitocnol

2) http://www.aegis.com/factshts/network/simple/nutrlip.html Re: Nutritional Supplements and Dietary Changes

Nutritional Supplements defined as follows: B Vitamins: Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine), Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin), and Folate (Folic Acid). Antioxidants, including beta-carotene (the body breaks down beta-carotene to make Vitamin A), selenium, Vitamin E (Tocopherol), and Vitamin C. Magnesium and Zinc Acidophilus, a bacterium that grows naturally in the intestines helps with digestion. Alpha-lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that may help with neuropathy and mental problems. Carnitine (also called acetyl-L-carnitine) may help prevent wasting and provide other immunologic and metabolic benefits, Coenzyme Q10 may help with immune function. Essential fatty acids found in evening primrose oil or flaxseed oil can help with dry skin and scalp. N-Acetyl-Cysteine, an antioxidant, can help maintain body levels of glutathione. Glutathione is one of the body's main antioxidants. Please give me your input.

Mark

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Mark, I am aware of some research suggesting that these strategies may be of help, particularly for those with fat loss syndromes (lipoatrophy). In fact, further research is underway with such interventions to define their safety and effectiveness. However, at this time I would consider these strategies "experimental" and if you are suffering from lipoatrophy would encourage you to discuss them, along with other options with your provider. Best, Eric

Previous
Kaletra & Kivexa, Slow response?
Next
pediatric HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.