Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

infectious disease doctor

HOW CONCERNED SHOULD I BE ABOUT SEEING A DOCTOR WHO HAS HIV PATIENTS BUT IS NOT INFECTIOUS DISEASE. IN THE RURAL AREA I AM IN IT IS DIFFICULT TO TRAVEL TO ONE. POSITIVE FOR FIFTEEN YEARS WITH LOW T-CELLS FOR MOST OF THE TIME.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

Some of the best HIV specialists are not Infectious Disease physicians. I have some credibility on this statement since I happen to be both. The fact is that many of my most respected HIV treating colleagues don't happen to have a specialty in Infectious Diseases. The key is to find someone with experience managing HIV. In fact, I would discourage you from seeing an Infectious Diseases specialist who does not have HIV experience.

Best, Eric

treatment for hiv negative
Chronic Diarrhea 21yrs