Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Videx and pregnancy

Hi , I am trying to get pregnent, I am on viread,videx and kaletra, i got pregnent once 2 month ago and unfortunately has a natural abortion,,, i got into real dipression but i was told it got nothing to me and my hiv (cd4 over 700, vl un detactable for more then 4 years) but I am worried about the ddi... its only 250 once a day, but still... I was taking before Stockrin but i was told it is not safe to take under pregnency but ddi?? I was not aware t is not safety and my dr. did not mention it as well i just crossed into it recently... Can uplease help me with my worries?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting. Data for select antiretroviral drugs is somewhat limited in pregnancy and particularly during the first trimester. In order for you to make an informed decision as to how to use antiretrovirals during pregnancy you need to work with a specialist who can share with you what is known, what is not known and all of your options.

For what it is worth, the most experience with NRTIs during pregnancy has been with zidovudine and lamivudine (AZT and 3TC). Experience with viread is limited and therefore it is generally not recommended unless there are no other treatment options. Certainly videx has been used in pregnancy and is considered a viable alternative to others drugs if they can not be used.

This information is no substitute for a sit down between you and your expert provider since there are many issues that can not be addressed over the web alone. Best, Eric

Fasting and HIV
truvada and protein