Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Fatigue

Hello there,

I found out that I am HIV + in Feb 2007 and my recent blood test showed that my t-cell count is 262 and viral load is high. The doctor told me that I should start medications ASAP.

I live healthy, eat well and exercise regulary. During the day time I always feel sleepy and Fatigued. Are these common signs of HIV?

When I start medications will I feel more tired and fatigued?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

Based upon the information provided I can't give you the definitive word as to what you should do. In particular it is important that you be evaluated for other causes of fatigue including other medical and/or psychiatric conditions. I always worry that we are too quick to attribute all symptoms to HIV without making sure more common causes of a specific symptom are not addressed. If such an evaluation has occurred and whatever else has been identified is being managed and you still feel fatigued then the symptom(s) may well be related to HIV.

With regards to starting antiretrovirals, most would agree that it should be seriously considered if your T cells are consistently less than 300 cells/uL. In most cases initiation of therapy should not make you feel tired/fatigued. In fact, it often makes people feel stronger.

The main thing is to make sure no other conditions are being missed and that if you decide to start treatment you work closely with your provider to make sure it is effective and well tolerated.

Best, Eric

Switching from AZT to Tenofovir?
Fatigue and Meds