Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Dual HIV

I've recently infected with the both HIV-1 & HIV-2,, First I want to know if this is unusual ,,, Much of what I've been reading on here indicates that most treatments are center around HIV-1,, - How are specialist dealing with the dual infection in regards to medication and is there expectation diiferences with life span with dealing with the two combined-- second question - If hiv-2 was introduced in 1986-- why are most medication that are 1 pill a day only for hiv-1,, just asking ,, look forward to you response- thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Daar

Dual infection with HIV-1 and HIV-2 has been reported but is not very common. In general, HIV-2 infection is relatively uncommon compared to HIV-1, which is part of the reason why most clinical research is focussed on the latter.

While there may be several differences between the two viruses, from a clinical perspective the most important differences are that we do not have a standardized viral load test for HIV-2 and the NNRTIs are not active against this virus. Consequently, for someone with HIV-2 alone or with HIV-1 treatment will usually be with NRTIs and PIs which together should be very effective.

Best, Eric

ak602
Switching from AZT to Tenofovir?