Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

fuzeon

Hi, I have not been able to find any information or statistics on undectable viral load longer than 48 weeks. What is the success rate for longer term use; 2+ years?

Response from Dr. Daar

Recent data has shown that those who get to undectable viral loads have a decreasing risk of viral breakthrough over time. In other words, those starting a new regimen and get to undetectable are more likely to rebound to detectable levels during the first year than the second, and in the second than the third. To me this tells us that those who take their meds consistently and keep the viral load down have a very good chance of keeping it that way over the long haul. I would continue to be followed closely and to be optimistic.

Best, Eric

Newby
Go for undetectable at any cost?