The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thrush or leukoplakia/leukopenia
Jun 15, 2007

Dear Dr.

I have had a persistent white coating on my tongue for the past 4+ weeks. I've been positive 22 years, CD4 at 506, up from 19 two years ago (restarted meds), VL undetectable. I tried Periogard for 2 weeks and then 2 weeks of Diflucan. My doctor said on the phone that I might have hairy leukoplakia or leukopenia instead of thrush as it did not respond to treatment. I see her in two weeks.

My question is, what is the difference between thrush and hairy leukopenia and hairy leukoplakia and what are my treatment options? It doesn't hurt or bleed. By the way, I was really tired when all of this began. I'm on disablity and have been taking it very easy for the past few weeks especially since the beginning of this mess.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thrush is a result of overgrowth of yeast in the mouth. It usually presents as while coat over mouth which can include the tongue, palate, cheeks, and/or back of throat. The key is that this can usually be scraped or brushed off. Hairy leukoplakia typically presents as a white brush-like border on the side of the tongue. Unlike thrush it can not be scraped off. Some people can have both at the same time.

Thrush is treated with one of several antifungal drugs. Hairy leukoplakia is associated with Epstein-Barr virus and sometimes responds to high doses of the antiviral drug acyclovir.

I suspect your doctor will be able to straighten this out for you.

Best, Eric

gene therapy ribozyme
If you were me?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint