Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

how long should I expect meds to continue working?

I've been diagnosed 10 years. diagnosed w/aids and pcp 10yrs ago 90 cd4 count viral load off the charts. Probably have been infected 20 yrs(know this because of last at risk behavior was then)Have been on 3 or 4 different med regimens, still on 1st line HAArt, to my knowledge no resistance. Only switched meds because of side effects. Recently have had high cholesterol and high bp (I'm only 37). How long should I expect meds to continue working or should I probably assume that I will die prematurely due to med complications?

Response from Dr. Daar

If you are tolerating your current regimen, taking the medications consistently and have undetectable viral loads I would assume that the medications will work for as long as you need them. Obviously I can't prove it but I would be very optimistic.

You are correct that because of the success of antiretroviral therapy you do need to make sure that you do everything else possible to keep yourself healthy. This includes good diet, exercise, avoiding illicit drugs, tobacco and only modest if any use of alcohol. Other than that, live life to the fullest!!

Seriously, there are many things you need to do in order to stay healthy, including managing your blood pressure and cholesterol. Sit down with your primary provider and come up with a plan.

Best, Eric

HIV+ to AIDS and back to HIV+??
gene therapy ribozyme