Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

stop
Jun 4, 2007

my doctor says my numbers are so good,that i can stop taking truvada and reyataz.is that a good idea?

Response from Dr. Daar

This is an excellent question that comes up with some frequency. There is no single answer that is right for everyone and it really depends upon the circumstances.

There is general agreement that those who have had low CD4 cells or advanced HIV disease in the past should not stop therapy unless they have to, such as for severe side effects. In this case most will experience CD4 decline off treatment, regardless of where their numbers are on treatment.

Those who have never had low CD4 cells may be able to stop with continued follow-up. Nevertheless, recent studies of treatment interruption in those with undetectable viral loads has raised some concerns so there is a need for discussion between you and your expert provider with regards to the known risks and benefits.

For what it is worth, in general I do not recommend that those doing well on treatment stop therapy unless there is a good reason. Often there is, and that is okay but otherwise I encourage them to continue treatment.

Best, Eric

Previous
Liver Results
Next
Rescheduling Times Medication are Taken

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.