Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

HIV-2 Therapy

I've been diagnosed with HIV-2 virus recently. What are the available therapy or even clinical trials for me?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting.

The main difference between the treatment for HIV-2 and HIV-1 is that for the former NNRTIs such as efavirenz (Sustiva) and nevirapine (viramune) are not effective. Consequently treatment usually includes NRTIs with PIs. Clearly current treatment is quite effective. The other challenge with HIV-2 is that we do not have comercially available viral load tests so monitoring can be a little more difficult than with HIV-1.

Best, Eric

HIV vaccine
CONFUSED