Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

What happened to this therapy?

Hi Dr. Daar,

I'm on the lookout for new therapies as I approach the end of my options... Can you tell me what happened to Sangamo's research on genetically modifying a patient's own CD4 cells to be more resistant to HIV, and then implanting them back into the patient? I found an article last year that was leaked to the media about one trial patient, experienced, who was bouncing back from the brink of HIV. He didn't know if he was part of the control group or not- but ever since then I haven't been able to find a thing on the company or the research. Please let me know if you're aware of anything-- even if it's only to tell me that the company has gone "covert" in it's operations since the leak...

Thanks so much for your help, and keep up the amazing work you guys do every day!

D.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

I regret that I am not specifically aware of what you refer to as having been leaked. I am aware of Sangamo Biosciences work with Zinc Finger technology for turning genes on and off. I am also aware of presentations and select publications where this technology was used in the laboratory against HIV with some success. What I am aware of is very interesting but quite a bit away from the clinic.

Further information may be available to you directly from the company if you are interested.

Best, Eric

best aids drs in la
Your thoughts please! Tough decisions!