Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 COUNT
May 4, 2007

When my friend was dignosed in 2005 the cd4 count was too low, which is 20 and viral load Nine thousand. He started treatment with ART, ceptra @ zithromax. In 3 months time the viral load was undectable and cd4 count increases to 50. After that for the last 2 years the viral load remains undectable all the times but there is no significant increase in cd4. still it is only 100. That person didn't have any sickness in the last 2 years (even flu or headache). what can we tell from this?? Is there any chance for boosting cd4 count or we can expect the worst to come anytime soon?? The thing is-- the person is full energetic and healthy.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for the post. I am delighted to hear your friend is doing so well.

What you describe is seen in some people, i.e. lack of robust increase in CD4 cells. There are probably many explanations for this, for the majority of which there is little one can do. Some people would consider modifying the regimen such as from a NNRTI (if that is what they are on) to a PI or from some NRTI backbones to others. These decisions require more information about the patient's regimen than I have.

The important thing is that most patients that maintain their viral load at undetectable levels appear to do very well regardless of their CD4 counts. Therefore, I recommend your friend talk to his provider, but regardless remain optimistic of continued good health.

Best, Eric

Previous
LESS NORVIR, MORE REYATAZ? REDUCE NORVIR?
Next
t-cell "death"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.