The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: Not really trreatment naive
Apr 25, 2007

Thank you for reviewing my resistance mutations and recommendations on 4/9. One expert wants to use Norvir boosted rayataz with Truvada and see what happens. A second opinion in another clinic in my state suggested a boosted PI also with viread, emtriva and like you suggested adding Ziagen, hoping I don't have a reaction. Right now my numbers are "just above" the treatment level and we are waiting to see what the next set shows. I am interested in the possiblitiy of a combo of a boosted PI with raltegravir. Do you know if there are any clinical trials I could consider based on my HIV history?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for the follow-up email.

I am not aware of current studies of boosted PI with raltegravir (integrase inhibitor) for someone in your situation. That said, there is considerable amount of experience/data using this combination with other drugs in treatment-experienced patients. When raltegravir is available this would be a very promising options for you.

As a clinical investigator who has seen many advances made in the field I very much appreciate your thinking about and considering participating in a clinical trial. It is only because of people like you that the gigantic strides in the management of HIV disease have been made.

Best, Eric

Any Hope For Lipodystrophy?
New onset Diabetes in Long Term HIV patients.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint