Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Re: Not really trreatment naive

Thank you for reviewing my resistance mutations and recommendations on 4/9. One expert wants to use Norvir boosted rayataz with Truvada and see what happens. A second opinion in another clinic in my state suggested a boosted PI also with viread, emtriva and like you suggested adding Ziagen, hoping I don't have a reaction. Right now my numbers are "just above" the treatment level and we are waiting to see what the next set shows. I am interested in the possiblitiy of a combo of a boosted PI with raltegravir. Do you know if there are any clinical trials I could consider based on my HIV history?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for the follow-up email.

I am not aware of current studies of boosted PI with raltegravir (integrase inhibitor) for someone in your situation. That said, there is considerable amount of experience/data using this combination with other drugs in treatment-experienced patients. When raltegravir is available this would be a very promising options for you.

As a clinical investigator who has seen many advances made in the field I very much appreciate your thinking about and considering participating in a clinical trial. It is only because of people like you that the gigantic strides in the management of HIV disease have been made.

Best, Eric

Any Hope For Lipodystrophy?
New onset Diabetes in Long Term HIV patients.