Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

long term complication

In your response to long term complication who was not able to take all the meds you mentioned the patient should seek medical treatment immediately if they notice visual changes. What could that mean?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your question.

I apologize for not providing more specifics. What I am worried about is the possible development of CMV retinitis which can occur in people with less than 50 CD4 cells and can cause blindness. The earlier it is diagnosed the better the chance to treat and preserve sight. Consequently, those living with less than 50 CD4 cells I recommend regular ophthomology visits at least every 6 months and urgently for any changes in vision. Particularly worrisome changes would include floaters, flashing lights and loss of part of vision. However, any changes in vision should be taken seriously in this situation and brought to the attention of the provider. Best, Eric

Decreasing CD4
What next?