Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Living with HIV

Hi from Brazil!!! I wonder if there is some answer to my question but... I'd like to know if there's any research about how long a person can live with HIV after starting the treatment with meds. I know that all depends on many things but nowadays, with the treatment available, is it possible to have a normal life, I mean dying old even taking the meds? Thanks a lot...

Response from Dr. Daar

Hello Brazil, thank you for posting.

The short answer is YES!!

That said, only time will tell since highly effective therapy has only been around in research and the clinics for a little more than a decade. Nevertheless, it is my firm belief that those with HIV who are taking care of their physical and mental health and avoiding drugs, excessive alcohol and tobacco should have a good chance to live a long healthy life. With regards to HIV the key is getting on an effective regimen, when the timing is right, that reduces viral load to undetectable levels and continuing to consistently take the medications. To me, good antiretrovirals and a healthy life style is a formula that should allow most people with HIV to lead a long and healthy life.

Best, Eric

rising CD4 count off treatment?
what are the symthoms of aids