Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: Not really treatment naive
Apr 9, 2007

Dr. Daar, As I stated previously I'm treament naive, also probably infected early 2005. mid 50's in age. These are the mutations listed on the PhenoSense GT report On the first page NRTI mutations: M41L,T215D NNRTI: K101Q, Y181C PI: NONE

On the third page of the report is a complete list of mutations

RT: K20R, M41L, K101Q, Q102K, K122E,I135R, C162S, Y181C, Q207E, R212R/K, T215D, H221H/Y, K223K/R, V245K, R227K, L281I, L238I, R284K

PR: T12P, R41K, Q61E, I64V, C67Y, H69Y, I72V.

replication capacity listed as 21%

I would really appreciate your input on what regimens are available to me now that my CD4's have reached the treatment range.

Thank you

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for the follow-up email with the specific information regarding your genotype. Based upon this your virus is likely to be partially resistant to several NRTIs and NNRTIs. While your options may be somewhat more limited than someone who did not acquire drug resistant virus, it is great that this was discovered early since there remain several options for you.

At this time most options would be built around the use of a ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitor with NRTIs that would likely include tenofovir and either 3TC or FTC along with perhaps zidovudine and/or abacavir. A regimen like this would be a good start and likely to be very successful. Obviously you would need to be monitored closely to assure an appropriate response. It is also important to note that there are many additional options for the future, including but not necessarily limited to enfuvirtide (T-20), integrase and CCR5 inhibitors.

Please understand that my comments are just general concepts for your consideration. Ultimately you do need to discuss all options with your expert provider who can best take into account other unique issues you may or may not have such as underlying renal disease, hepatitis co-infection, cardiovascular risk factors, etc.

Best, Eric

Previous
Vaccine - how long?
Next
Infected - When

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.