Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaccine - how long?
Apr 9, 2007

Hi! I will try to be brief. A good friend of mine was diagnosed in 2002. He is on meds right now. This is my question - what is going on, if anything, with vaccines. I would like to know the status of research on vaccines for the negative as well as positive (we would be in a relationship if there was a vaccine). Thanks so much for your help. Lea

Response from Dr. Daar

There have been enormous strides made in understanding HIV-specific immune responses and how to measure potentially relevant immunologic markers. Unfortunately, most of what has been learned is how difficult it will be to develop a preventative vaccine. While much work is still ongoing I am not convinced there are any highly promising strategies on the horizon that might allow us to meet this goal.

For what it is worth I am somewhat more opptimistic that a vaccine could be developed in the next 5-10 years that might modify the immune response in infected people in such a way as to enhance virologic control and perhaps alter the natural history of disease.

It is ultimately up to you and your friend as to whether you pursue a relationship. However, it is worth noting that many HIV-infected people are able to have highly satisfying relationships with HIV-uninfected people while not allowing transmission to occur. I suggest you talk this over with your friend and consider seeking out expertise within your community that could provide additional information.

Best, Eric

Previous
Quick adjustment to Atripla
Next
Re: Not really treatment naive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.