Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Quick adjustment to Atripla

Newly diagnosed (VL 300K; CD4 250), my first week on Atripla was no fun. But the vivid dreams (so bizarre that one was a wild tryst with Nancy Pelosi) lasted only two nights.

During the first week, the late evening dosage also left me extremely groggy all morning and early afternoon for a long week. Then those side effects went away and now I feel fine in the morning.

Is there any meaning to these strong reactions then rapid adjustment? Could it mean that Atripla was strongly fighting the virus the first week and was relatively victorious? Or might I have gotten meds that were nonpotent at the bottom of the bottle? Or is this just another example of different people reacting differently? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Daar

Nancy Pelosi aside, your reaction and experience is very similar to many. Typically if these types of side effects occur they do decrease during the first few weeks or months. The main thing is that you are now tolerating the medication well. As long as to you take them consistently and your viral load declines to undetectable levels you should do great!!

Best, Eric

Long-term HIV complications
Vaccine - how long?