Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long-term HIV complications
Apr 9, 2007

I am responding to Kyle's question to Dr. Daar about his many complications from long-term HIV drugs and infection. I am a long-term survivor, over twenty-five years. We survivors are rare. All of my HIV-positive friends are dead. I have been through all the experiences Kyle is going through and I can say almost with 100 percent accuracy that all of my complications were drug-related. My last regimen seemed to have the least complications. However, because my system (and this must be true of most survivors) seems to fight off the disease quite well on its own. The key is doing everything you can to boost your own immune system: no alcohol, smoking or recreational drugs, regular exercise, adequate rest and a good diet. A year ago, I decided to go off all meds. My t-cells remain in the high 500's and my viral load, although around 60,000, is stable and does not seem to be going up. If things change, I will definitely go back on meds. But, for the time being, my own immune system is doing the job just fine. And, a strong immune system may be the key for long-term survivors in general. I also have no complications from HIV and only ever had them during drug regimens. I consider myself as healthy as anyone who is HIV-free and expect to live a normal lifetime. Oh, and by the way, no depression! I feel terrific!

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I am glad to hear that you are feeling well. Best, Eric

Previous
CD4 count
Next
Quick adjustment to Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.