Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

MY TWO DRUGS

Hi, I am female positive since 1995. It is been 12 years that i am using combivir. My drugs are never changed during this time and now my recent CD4 count is about 1.000 and Viral Load is undetectable. What should i do. Treatment looks successfull and i feel so healthy. Do you have suggestions for stop the the drugs or something else...Thank you...Should i try to make a baby...

Response from Dr. Daar

I know this sounds silly but it is always important in cases like yours that HIV antibody testing has been repeated several times and is completely positive in order to be sure there was no mistake way back when. Assuming you are infected then you would appear to be one of those that has been fully suppressed on two NRTIs. It is not common but it does occur. From my perspective, if you have been undetectable for many years on this regimen and tolerating it well then there is little reason to change.

I would encourage you to discuss this with your provider since many people have differences of opinion. Regardless of what you do it is important that you continue to take the medications consistently and are followed closely so if viral rebound does occur it is identified early.

The issues surrounding having a baby are incredibly complex and I would encourage you to discuss this with your provider and an OB doctor with expertise in this area.

Best, Eric

Longevity??
CD4 count