Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Swallowing those pills

Doctor, I am taking Atripla, and some nights I just can't seem to swallow that huge pill. So I have cut it up into smaller pieces (and sometimes even crushed it and dissolved it in water) to take it, but have not missed a dose. Are their ramifications of doing this? Is the medicine absorbed more quickly and therefore not active for the whole 24 hours (thereby creating the chance of HIV becoming resistant)? Also, what IS the deal with taking the medicine on an empty stomach? Does it slow the process of absorption, increase the level of medicine in the bloodstream at once, what? I have heard many things. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Daar

It should not be a big problem if you cut up the Atripla pill as long as you take all of it everyday. An alternative for you to consider is to take it as truvada (combination tenofovir with FTC) and sustiva. This would be two pills once per day that may be a bit easier to swollow.

Best, Eric

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Treatment Experienced