Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

In the past six months I have had four "episodes" affecting my ability to walk The last two required hospitalization because I lost control of my lower legs and feet Five MRIs and a MRA have revealed nothing I see my neurologist regularly Two hospitals have done the same blood work and MRIs as my neurologist No answers My HIV meds are Kaletra, Zerit 30mg and Didanosine I have been on this combo for 6 years What in your opinion is causing these episodes

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry you have been having so many problems. It would be impossible for me to make a diagnosis over the web that your specialists couldn't make in person. The one thing that comes to mind that could account for some of these problems and not be picked up by MRI is peripheral neuropathy which occurs with some frequency when taking Zerit (D4T) and didanosine (ddI). Peripheral neuropathy is often associated with numbness, tingling and/or pain in the feet. Your neurologist certainly should be able to make this diagnosis. I encourage you to continue to work with your HIV provider and neurologist until some diagnosis is made.

Best, Eric

what is immune system damage?
Swallowing those pills