Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what is immune system damage?
Mar 31, 2007

Right or wrong, it has been my goal to delay treatment as long as possible. 10 years since infection and I'm still med free with good labs. However, I have seen the phrase "damage to the immune system" in reference to not starting meds and in reference to other issues. My docs speak strictly in terms of CD4 & VL counts when describing immune system health. Could you explain what "damage to the immune system" is? I have always read the phrase in the context that such damage is permanent. Your clarification is appreciated.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

The phrase you refer to is frequently used in very loose terms. The reason for this is that it really is not very specific or well defined. I suspect most use it to describe immunologic deficits that occur in people that can not be measured by blood CD4 cell count. While there certainly is data that this occurs, even within the first weeks of infection, and some of this damage may be irreversible, in the clinic the major focus remains on CD4 cells counts that we can measure.

From my perspective it is vital that immunologists continue to research the importance of "damage to the immune system" that can not be measured in the clinic. Nevertheless, from a patients view there is no data demonstrating that this is more important than what we can measure with CD4 counts. For now I would encourage you and others to focus on the routine markers since they appear to be very useful in guiding the current management of HIV disease. Only time will tell whether these other issues will prove to be relevant in clinical practice.

Best, Eric

Previous
info on longterm aids & meds needed
Next
Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.