Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

should I switch meds

I am curently taking Sustiva and Combivir and have been for approx 3 yrs. Here the thing, my numbers are falling, cd4 is 300 and viral load is 800k. I recently had a resistance test done and according to it I am not resistant to my currnt meds. If so, why then are my nubers falling. My doctor tells me to wait and see but im worried. Should I switch meds right away or wait and see what happens in 3months?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

If I understand you correctly, your viral load is 800,000 copies/mL on combivir (zidovudine/lamivudine, ZDV/3TC) and sustiva and your CD4 cells have dropped and a resistance test shows no resistance. It would be very unusual to have no resistance on your current regimen with any detectable viral load, yet alone one as high as yours. In fact, experience has taught us that virtually everyone with even relatively low levels of virus while on 3TC or sustiva with have resistance to one of them if not both. The first think I always worry about in this situation is that the medications may not be taken correctly. I would encourage you to discuss this with your primary provider in order to get to the bottom of this very unusual situation. It is more important to sort this out right now than rush to change treatment.

Best, Eric

Any American research on this Chinese method?
not really treatment naive