Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

cd4 count

Dear doc,

first OF ALL I WILL LIKE TO THANK WWW.THE BODY.COM AND THE DOCTORS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SITE WHO ARE DOING GREAT SERVICE TO PEOPLE AND THEREFORE HUMANITY BY BEING THERE FOR THEM WHEN THEY REQUIRE A SECOND ADVISE AND AN ADVISE THAT IS FROM THE BEST IN THE WORLD .......THANKS A LOT ....

My question is I m on EFAVIRENZ 600 TENOFOVIR DISPROXIL 300 LEMIVUDINE 150 ---2 TAB DAILY

since Nov 2005

my viral load in Aug 2006 was <20 and cd4 was 318

now in Jan 2007 the viral load is <20 and the cd4 is 288

My doc says.....that my meds are working fine as the viral load is undetectable....but is concerned about cd4 count.....he ask me if I do alcohol .........i said none at all .....smoke??? I said 4/5 cigarettes a day ........he asked me to stop smoking immediately......

he has recommended a dietary supplement medicine called triple guard echinasia ....nutrilite ......from nutrilite usa ....www.nutrilite.com

Which he thinks will boost my cd4 count

Please advise ....why my cd4 count is not increasing significantly

Thanks and best regards

Response from Dr. Daar

In general I would agree that as long as your viral load is undetectable the CD4 cell count is probably less of a concern. Moreover, there really is no difference between 318 and 288 cells/uL. While I am not sure whether any of the suggested dietary supplements will increase your CD4 cells, I would strongly endorse the recommendation to stop smoking.

Best, Eric

Tropism Assay
scared of being resistant