The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What can I switch for Lexiva?
Feb 12, 2007

Just moved to kenya from USA. Currently on Lexiva, Videx-ec, Viread and Norvir combination. Lexiva not available? Videx slow release also not available. What options?

Been on quite a few combinations so far.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

As is a recurring theme on this site I must disclose that any decisions regarding changing therapy requires detailed information of your previous treatment history. In particular whether there is any direct evidence or reason to be concerned that you might have developed drug resistant virus. If there is no reason to believe you have any drug resistant virus and currently have undetectable viral loads then you have many options including various nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors with protease inhibitors or even nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors. If you have developed drug resistant virus or have had detectable viremia on therapy then much more information will be needed before a decision can be made. I hope that you have access to a provider with sufficient expertise to help guide you through this process. If you would like to provide me with more information regarding your treatment history and what treatment options are available to you in your current environment I would be happy to provide some additional guidance.

Best, Eric

Start Treatment Early to Keep Immune system from damage?
Tropism Assay

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint