Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

dizziness/light headedness/ disoriented

I have been HIV+ for at least 16 years, I suspect for as long as 24. I have been on a slew of regimens. In the past year I have been on the new formulation of Kaletra, Virmune and Truvada. Also Lisipronel for High Blood Pressure. I have had a problem with extreme dizziness, and disorientation. I am in recovery for 24 years, and I feel like I am high all the time. My Dr. is at a loss as to the cause. I am at my wits end. I have experimented with a lower dose of Kaletra, it seems to help. I wonder if it is the viramune, and wonder if I should go back to Sustiva. My head often feels like it is an over-inflated ballon. Please help. jeff

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Jeff,

The only antiretroviral drug associated with the symptoms you describe is Sustiva. Although viramune (nevirapine) is in the same class it has not been associated with these symptoms. My first reaction to your situation is to look for other medical conditions not related to HIV medications that might cause these symptoms. It is not possible for me to make this assessment over the web but the kinds of symptoms you describe may require a more detailed evaluation by a neurologist and/or ENT specialist. If no other explanation is identified you might want to talk to your provider about carefully adjusting your antiretrovirals but my sense is that these medications are a less likely explanation for your symptoms.

Best, Eric

Now What?
Toxic Mold Exposure