The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are some things I need to do before I get pregnant?
Dec 26, 2006

My husband and I are thinking about having a baby soon. I already know of a doctor who is experienced in treating HIV positive pregnant women, so if he is taking new patients, he would be the one. My CD4 is high, viral load undetectable (<50). My regimen is 300mg Reyataz, 100mg, Norvir, and Truvada. 1. I know some meds are not good for pregnancy. Will I need to switch to a pregnancy friendly regimine (if mine isn't, which I am not sure) before we start trying? 2. This regimine has gone excellently for me. If I do have to switch, will I be able to switch back to what I am on? Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

It sounds as if you are doing very well on your current regimen, so most experts would recommend that you remain on this regimen throughout your pregnancy. This will optimize your health and, by keeping your viral load undetectable, minimize the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby. Reyataz is a relatively new antiviral -- while we have less experience with it than other antivirals during pregnancy, it appears to be safe for administration. All of the other medications also appear to be safe for administration during pregnancy, as well. The only medication NOT recommended for use during pregnancy is efavirenz (which you are not taking).

There is lots of good information on this web site about having a baby and I would urge you to review and discuss it with your care provider.

Could I change med?
Switching To Atripula

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint