Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

What are some things I need to do before I get pregnant?

My husband and I are thinking about having a baby soon. I already know of a doctor who is experienced in treating HIV positive pregnant women, so if he is taking new patients, he would be the one. My CD4 is high, viral load undetectable (<50). My regimen is 300mg Reyataz, 100mg, Norvir, and Truvada. 1. I know some meds are not good for pregnancy. Will I need to switch to a pregnancy friendly regimine (if mine isn't, which I am not sure) before we start trying? 2. This regimine has gone excellently for me. If I do have to switch, will I be able to switch back to what I am on? Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

It sounds as if you are doing very well on your current regimen, so most experts would recommend that you remain on this regimen throughout your pregnancy. This will optimize your health and, by keeping your viral load undetectable, minimize the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby. Reyataz is a relatively new antiviral -- while we have less experience with it than other antivirals during pregnancy, it appears to be safe for administration. All of the other medications also appear to be safe for administration during pregnancy, as well. The only medication NOT recommended for use during pregnancy is efavirenz (which you are not taking).

There is lots of good information on this web site about having a baby and I would urge you to review and discuss it with your care provider.

Could I change med?
Switching To Atripula