Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

How long before the meds kill you?

Dear Dr. Daar, After having had, in the past, various cocktails with meds to which the virus was resistent I started about four years ago a very complicated and heavy combination of FUZEON, TIPRANAVIR, RITONAVIR, VIREAD, COMBIVIR and VIRAMUNE. That last one I was pleased to be able to stop with my doctor's consent recently. My question is: my testresults are more or less o.k., a low Viral Load and a CD-4 count that is higher than it has ever been in the past, around 200. However: I cannot say I am feeling in perfect health. I have this annoying suspicion that somehow a day will come that my organs just refuse to do their normal job any longer because they have been sort of poisoned by all this medication. Every day I take again this whole load of injections and pills I have the feeling as if it becomes harder to cope. Since I am one of those so called "long time survivors" (I got infected in the beginning of the 80's) I also think that I belong to those that will probably be the first to start showing the results of such longlasting exposure to drugs and I do not think that many experts would know what is in store for people like me. What do you think? Can a person go on indefenitely unpunished with all this HIV medication or will one day come when these meds will actually kill you? Another question is not about strategies, but I am now under examination for a suspect spot on my skin and the dermatologist has done a biopsy to rule out Kaposi. Can this sort of skincancer strike even at such a late date? I of course have to wait for the results of the biopsy, but I was wondering whether you have heard of patients that were having Kaposi at such a late stage in their disease. Can it strike at any given moment? Thanks Dr. Daar for your comments and hope to hear from you! Greetings from a faithful visitor to the Body's website, keep the good work up! From Holland ROBERT

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Robert, Thank you for your loyalty to the site and your great questions. First of all, it is wonderful that you have done so well for so long. I am sorry that you do not feel great on your current regimen and suspect that options may be limited at this time due to drug resistant virus that had developed over your years of treatment. It is very important that you keep your provider informed as to how you feel so an ongoing discussion can occur regarding new options. As you probably know, there are many new drugs in development that may represent options for you in the new future.

With regards to long term toxicity, it is difficult to predict. I am hoping that most will not suffer any significant side effects from treatment. However, everyone is different and only time will tell. In the interim, as a provider I simply follow my patients closely over time to make sure that if anything is occurring it can be detected as early as possible. While doing this, I remain optimistic that most people will be able to live full lives on current therapy. It is also important to balance your concerns with what we do know about what happens with untreated HIV, where virtually everyone will ultimately develop AIDS and die.

With regards to your pending skin biopsy, certainly some people can develop Kaposi's sarcoma while doing well on antiretrovirals, although it is uncommon in my experience. The main thing to do is get a diagnosis and then discuss with your provider treatment options. Usually a single small lesion is relatively easy to manage.

I hope this helps. All the best, Eric

any new in medication??
exersice